140816 behrouz khosravi wrote:
> So can you please tell me why you have chosen a specific DE
> and not the other options ?

I've used Fluxbox for a long time & am completely satisfied ;
it's very customisable, fast & reliable ; I start it with 'startx' ;
the only problem is that it's not good at automatically starting apps,
but I've defined Alt-F<n> keys to start the regulars & that's very quick.

I use Apwal -- not nearly well enough known -- via R-click
to call up an array of quick-start icons on an empty desktop ;
I create + update the regular menu with Vim & open it via Alt-Space,
which allows me to use it even on a full desktop ;
I have long organised my activities via  10  desktops.

I like KDE apps & have a dozen installed ; updating is fairly quick
& I don't do it for every release, most of which don't affect me.

I used Xfce for a short time, but dropped it when 4.2 was slow to appear ;
Fluxbox proved to be a better alternative.

I never liked Gnome, its apps, its interface or its multitude of deps ;
I've never installed or used it, but I've seen it from the outside ;
I do use Evince as a quick alternative to Okular for PDFs .

The great attraction of Gentoo is that you get to build your own system
& can mix + match as much as you please.  HTH.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca