On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That's what came to my mind too, that's why I instructed him away from it.
>>
>> Yeah, I saw your email after I sent mine.
>>
>> I now have to figure out why you're recommending a 80< prefix when I
>> thought that a >80 prefix is necessary in order AFAIK to override
>> "/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules".
>>
>> I tried 75- instead of 85- this morning before leaving for work and
>> the interfaces were renamed properly so I'm clearly wrong...
>
> I'm not totally sure that this answers your question, but:
>
> "Because the rules are triggered before the default one (rules are
> triggered in alphanumerical order, so 70 comes before 80) the names
> provided in the rule file will be used instead of the default ones.
> The number granted to the file should be between 76 and 79 (the
> environment variables are defined by a rule start starts with 75 and
> the fallback naming is done in a rule numbered 80)."
>
> https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=4&chap=2#doc_chap4

Thanks, it does. "fallback naming" explains it because I thought that
80- provided override naming. But I'd still like to know more
precisely.

I looked at 75-net-description.rules and 80-net-setup-link.rules last
night and decided to look up the source of "net_id", "path_id",
"net_setup_link" this weekend because I was too tired...

Thanks again.