On 09/04/2014 01:05 PM, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> On 04. sep. 2014 16:52, Tom H wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> When booting from EFI you need a GPT boot partition (FAT - ugh) that
>>> actually contains the image that gets booted, so it needs to have room
>>> for at least a couple of kernels/initramfs - so that will be larger.
>>
> I'm working on getting a new motherboard, Will I still be able to have
> my boot filesystem on a flash-stick? Currently I have everything except
> /boot on LVM on top of Physical Volumes on unpartitioned raid volumes.
> Having a single drive with an odd size makes swapping drives around when
> they fail and drop out of the raid a hassle, and I do not want to waste
> 2G on every drive just to have a 2G boot partition. A flash stick (and
> another one for backup) is very pleasant to work with. Especially when i
> bork my initramfs or need to run maintenance without mounting my root
> filesystem. Will this work on an EFI board ?

It should work with no issues. You may want to boot it in EFI mode as
some motherboards cripple functionality in 'legacy' mode. I just ran
into that with hdmi audio passthrough not working on an Intel NUC I
recently set up.

It is possible to boot in EFI mode off of a USB, as I used a Mint ISO to
boot from in EFI mode. I would presume the USB needs to have the FAT
partition that EFI requires.

Dan