Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:29 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Forcing kmail to always default to NON-html email

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 05:19:17 PM Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
On Saturday 13 September 2014 9:54:34 AM J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On 13 September 2014 09:49:19 CEST, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >On Saturday 13 Sep 2014 07:56:50 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have not been able to find a setting anywhere in KMail to force it

> >> always default to plain-text emails when creating a new email or
> >
> >replying.
> >
> >> The few times I actually need html functionality, I prefer to just
> >
> >enable
> >
> >> it for that single email. Unfortunately, kmail tends to remember the
> >
> >last
> >
> >> setting.
> >>
> >> Is there any setting I have missed? Or is this something I need to
> >
> >take up
> >
> >> with KDE upstream?
> >
> >As far as I know it will remember the previous selection under Options
> >in your
> >message editor, for all of the settings therein.  It would be nice if
> >these
> >could be set and honoured as a default preference under say,
> >Settings/Configure Kmail/Composer, then overriden on a message by
> >message
> >basis using the Options in each message.
>
> My point exactly.
> I'll try to log a feature request with KDE upstream this weekend if > noone

comes with a working solution before then.

> --
> Joost

For me the composer does remember the last setting, however unless you use
any of the formatting options it sends the message as plain text.

For replying there's the option under Composer > General to "Reply or
forward using HTML if present". If I uncheck that it always quotes the
original message using plain-text so unless I use formatting it gets sent
as text.

Am I missing something?

I'm afraid yes, as that setting has been unchecked since day 1.

There are times I actually need to send HTML emails. To do that, I need to
press the "Rich Text" button when creating the email (in the compose email
window).

That setting is then remembered the next time I send a new message or want to
reply to an email.
Usually I do remember to switch it off, but not always, as is evident when I
accidentally send an HTML email. I need an option in KMail where the "Rich
Text" button is off by default and requires enabling specifically.

--
Joost