On 17/09/2014 09:34, J. Roeleveld wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:43:18 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Anyone here used ansible and at least one of puppet/chef?
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> I've made several attempts over the years to get puppet going but never
>> really got it off the ground. Chef I stay away from (likely due to the
>> first demo of it I saw and how badly that went....)
>>
>> Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
>> Not so much for ~20 or so. Plus puppet's language and configs get large
>> and hard to keep track of - lots and lots of directory trees with many
>> things mentioning other things. (Nagios has the same problem if you
>> start keeping host, services, groups and commands in many different files)
>>
>> I've stumbled upon ansible, it seems much better than puppet for
>> smallish sites with good odds I might even keep the whole thing in my
>> head at any one time :-)
>>
>> Anyone care to share experiences?
>
> No experiences yet, but I have been looking for options to quickly and easily
> create (and remove) VMs lab environments.

Have you tried Vagrant?

I haven't tried it myself, I'm just reacting to the "VM" keyword ;-)

> I agree with your comments on Chef and Puppet.
> Ansible looks nice and seems easy to manage. I miss an option to store the
> configuration inside a database, but I don't see an issue adding the
> generation of the config-files from database tables to the rest of the
> environment I am working on.

Ansible has an add-on called Tower that seems to do this. The marketing
blurb implies you can use almost any storage backend you like from MySQL
and PostGres to LDAP

> I like that Ansible also seems to support MS Windows nodes, just too bad that
> requires enabling it after install. But with this, cloning VMs and changing
> the network configs afterwards seems easier to manage.

I'm lucky, this is a Unix-only shop so I don't have to deal with Windows
servers. The three managers who have Windows laptops for varying reasons
have all been clearly told upfront they will support themselves and I
ain't touching it :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com