On Wed, 17 September 2014, at 12:31 pm, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
>> In this case the USB is being used as an ethernet connection - you're simply
>> asking for the routing to occur in the opposite direction.
>
> Helmut is trying to do the opposite.
> He wants the mobile phone to use the internet connection of his desktop.

That's what I wrote - that he's "simply asking for the routing to occur in the
opposite direction".

My Android appears to allow networking over its USB connection in both
directions - I attach two screenshots.

The first attached screenshot is of the "Wireless and networks" menu, which is
accessed directly from "Settings".

As you can see there is a "Tethering & portable hotspot" submenu (second
attached screenshot), but at the bottom there is also a tickbox "USB Internet -
Sharing Windows PC internet via USB cable".

If you look also at the second attached screenshot, "Tethering & portable
hotspot", you will see that "USB tethering - USB connected, tick to tether" is
a separate menu item.

When I initially read your email and glanced at my phone, the "Sharing Windows
PC internet via USB cable" item was greyed out. The words became solid when I
plugged the USB cable in. I have not tested it further, but I have to assume
that these two menu options perform reciprocal functions.

Stroller.