Excerpts from Michael Palimaka's message of 2014-10-04 19:37:04 +0200:
> On 10/04/2014 11:26 PM, behrouz khosravi wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> > I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
> > Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
> >
> > thanks
>
> Hi,
>
> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
> KDE 4.
>
> We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
> 5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
> daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
> to be a good candidate for the main tree.
>
> The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
> is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael
>
> [1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves

I'd love to try KDE 5. So far I've been able to install Frameworks from the KDE
overlay. I then tried to install the workspace, but it seems that it can't
coexist with kde 4 (I get blockers from several kde 4 packages when trying to
install). Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong? I use paludis as
package manager, so maybe it behaves differently from portage and this is the
reason for the blockers.

I remember that when KDE 4 was released I used to run the live version,
rebuilding everything every day. It was a very pleasant experience being able to
witness how the programs improved, day after day. But I could do that because I
could have both KDE 4 and KDE 3 installed at the same time: those days when a
program I needed broke horribly in the KDE 4 live version, I could go on working
using the KDE 3 version. Currently, if indeed KDE 4 and KDE 5 workspace can't be
installed at the same time, I'll have to wait before trying the latter.

Stefano