On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 03:02:59AM +0000, James wrote:
> Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

> > I am trying to set up an HP LaserJet 1000 printer with foo2zjs. I had been
> > using hplip in the past (which did work), but for several (mostly non-
> > techical) reasons, I don’t want to use that. I was happy with foo2zjs back
> > in the day when it was still “stable” in portage.
>
> cups + hplip is pretty robust. I can't quell my curiousity as to
> why you would not want to use that solution, paticualrly for an
> HP printer?

Mostly because I want a minimal system. I have cups already which KDE can
use, I don’t need (or want) another tool that does the same job and that has
a lot of GUI stuff that my printer doesn’t support anyway (scanners and
such).

Furthermore, it installs a tool which I don’t need and pollutes my tray and
which has no off-switch. Tries to deactivate it in the past had not
succeeded (as I said, non-technical reasons).

Also, with every update it wants to download the proprietary plugin anew
(which I had trouble with in the past b/c I did offline updates) or else no
printo worko.

Lastly, this plugin installation doesn’t work if system python was not
version 2, so every time I had to eselect python 2, install hplip, and
switch back again.

You may certainly call me backward minded, but it worked in the past[TM]
without hplip, and I would like that again.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

There are those and those.  But there are more of those than those.