On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 16:38:52 Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
> On 10/18/2014 04:06 AM, Mick wrote:

> > What do the router logs say?
>
> DD-WRT is not very informative. It only has system-type stuff in
> /var/log/messages, nothing LAN-related.

As James suggested, if you have SSH or telnet access to the router run arp to
see what the arp tables include.  Also ping the server from the router to see
if you get any responses.  I expect that these will not reveal anything
untoward, but it is best to follow a process of elimination a step at a time.

> > Have you captured any packets on both ends and in between?
>
> Capturing packets on my desktop shows strange behavior. When I ping my
> server (kwopper), my desktop (greenbeast) starts generating a bunch of
> ARPs, none of which get answered.

Only to state the obvious, that this is not the expected behaviour.  Are you
sure that the server firewall isn't configured to only allow connections from
your laptop and/or drop arp packets to avoid arp attacks?  What happens when
you disable the firewall?

> When my laptop pings kwopper, the
> first ARP is answered instantly and the pings succeed. Pinging from
> kwopper is the same; instantly finds and connects to my laptop, but my
> desktop does not see any ARPs or ICMPs from kwopper.

Using arpscan and arping between desktop and server you should be able to find
out what is happening, but I suspect something to do with the server
configuration.

--
Regards,
Mick