On 01/11/2014 19:15, James wrote:
>  <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

>>  I have a lot of files with digits of PI. The digits
>>  are the characters of 0-9. Currently they are ZIPped,
>>  which I think is not the best way to do that.
>
> Hello Meino,
>
> It's a bit of effort, but the world's recognized authority
> on algorithms is Don Knuth. [1] He's old now, but his
> pioneering attempt at categorizing most algorithms:
> "The art of computer programming" and his MMIX alogrithm
> implementations (kinda like assembler) are certainly
> part of many first-step research efforts on algorithms
> and their implementations.
>
> It's not a cookbook; more of a scholarly (high_brow) reference,
> just to supplement all the good postings by your peers on gentoo user.
>
> Alan may loan you his copy?
> (ha ha ha)?
>

> hth,
> James
>
> [1] http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/

ha ha, fat chance :-)

When Alan does eventually get his hands on his very own personal
copy[1], it will be lent to nobody. There are just some things a man
never lends out: his bike, his firearm, his wife. And Knuth :-)

Back on topic: You're 100% right - to learn about algorithms in general,
Knuth is the man. Essential reading for anyone taking CS seriously

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com