On 07/11/14 19:46, James wrote:
Ok

so I'm still on 4.7.3; but if I set 4.8.3
as the default, should I rebuild @system ?

  # gcc-config -l
  [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3 *
  [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.3

I saw the news item about 4.8.3-SSP, which I think is a good idea, but
how deeply, if at all, do I need to rebuild packages ?

You don't need to rebuild, although there are known problems with having both 4.7 and 4.8 installed, and having 4.7 be the active one (or any case where an older version is the active one.)

You should be able to just switch to 4.8 without rebuilding anything. That's what I did. Of course it can't hurt to rebuild everything, but you can schedule that for later (like an overnight rebuild of @world with --keep-going). It's not critical to do it immediately.