On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 02:07:23 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> > No, simply log out of the desktop and back in.
>
> Um, Tomas's little one-liner:
> lsof -n | grep 'DEL.*lib'
>
> revealed far to much to deal with. I got lib issues coming out of my
> arse (I've been hacking at a few things I do not fully understand
> (wink wink :: nudge nudge) ?

Oh yes, there are times when a reboot is the simplest option, it makes
sure everything is back as baseline. I have no problem with rebooting,
just wouldn't recommend the worldwide recompile that leads to the need to
do so - unless it is necessary, which is clearly is not in the case of
the GCC 4.7 -> 4.8 switch. I run ~arch on my desktop, so most things will
be recompiled in the next few weeks anyway.

> > Yes, things may be a little different with 4.9, but the last time a
> > rebuild was really required was,AFAIR, somewhere around 3.3.

> OK, so I reboot workstations more often than you. I hope that does
> not upset you?

As long as they are your workstations and not mine,m it doesn't upset me
in the least ;-)

> Yes, I've kept workstations online for over a year more
> times that I can count (fingers and toes). And when the reboot comes,
> It's a day or 2 fixing things, imho. YMMV.

Not by much. Severs may stay up for a while but desktops tend to be
rebooted quite often after kernel updates.

> A judicious reboot now and
> again, timed well, is keenly a good idea, imho. ymmv. Besides I'm an
> old FT via redundancy, kind of guy; aka I *always* have spare systems,
> ready to go.

As a fully paid up member of the Old Farts Club, I can appreciate that.

> I deeply appreciate your concerns over the admin skills of an
> old_fart.... RFC 5798.

I don't see how that RFC relates to being an old fart...

--
Neil Bothwick

I backed up my hard drive and ran into a bus.