On Saturday 15 Nov 2014 16:54:26 Thanasis wrote:
> on 11/15/2014 04:59 PM Mick wrote the following:

> > Have you been through them and in particular the "Full Power Down Test"?
> > If yes, did you wait long enough after the PC has powered down, for the
> > UPS to also switch off (you can affect the overall waiting time by
> > setting a shorter TIMEOUT value, rather than waiting for the batteries
> > to go flat).
>
> Yes I have set the TIMEOUT to 30 (seconds) in /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf,
> and run the tests. Waited more than 3 minutes after the PC powers off,
> the UPS will not kill the power.

Hmm ... I'm running out of ideas.  :-(

> > If this does not get you somewhere, I recommend you post to the
> > nut-upsu...@lists.alioth.debian.org (you'll need to register first).
>
> Is the above list (nut-upsu...@lists.alioth.debian.org) also appropriate
> for apcupsd users?

I'm sure I saw threads there on APC UPS, so yes it won't hurt if you post
there.

> > PS. The services I listed running are particular to my UPS, I expect
> > different to your APC unit.
>
> Yes, because they belong to sys-power/nut. I 've been talking about
> sys-power/apcupsd, as I said in first post.
> (Should I switch to sys-power/nut?)

You can try sys-power/nut, and use something like:

sudo /opt/local/bin/usbhid-ups -a apcups -DD

to get some debug info from your UPS, after you set up the configuration
files.  You could either try the apcupsd-ups driver which acts as an apcupsd
client, or you give usbhid-ups a spin as I show above.  In any case, I trust
that the guys at the nut M/L will give sound advice for your particular UPS -
unless some gentoo user with this UPS chimes in first.

HTH.

--
Regards,
Mick