On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 05:32:14 -0500, Tom H wrote:
>
>> Is the "systemd" USE flag an actual syslog-ng compilation option or it
>> is a flag to generate systemd units when syslog-ng is installed?
>
> Both.

Please read the ebuild before giving answers like this.  The unit file
is installed regardless of flag setting (which is the standard
policy).  There is a compile-time option which this also toggles, and
it also changes the logrotate script (which probably isn't ideal).

I don't know offhand what toggling the compile-time option does.  It
seems that it does more than simply enable systemd support, though
there might be run-time options to control that and if so those should
be added to the openrc init.d script.

Looking at the syslog-ng admin guide, consider changing your log
source from system() (which autodetects the source) to something like:

unix-dgram("/dev/log");

file("/proc/kmsg" program-override("kernel") flags(kernel));

That appears to be what system() does when not running systemd.  If
this works then I think upstream might accept a bug report on this -
the autodetection code isn't actually detecting whether systemd is
running, but whether it was enabled/installed/etc.

--
Rich