On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:27:08PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 17/11/2014 23:01, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I was setting up an binhost recently and i couldn't found any
> > information how to keep old builds.
> > Usually, for example a newer version of tcpdump gets build, the old
> > build will be deleted. Only different slots were keeped. However, I
> > want to keep these old builds but I haven't found an option for that.
> >
> > Is it even possible to keep these? If not, anyone know why? if it's not
> > possible there must be a reason and i couldn't think of anyone...
> >

> short answer:
> emerge -b
>
> long answer:
> read "man emerge". All of it. Gotchas await.

Well, the man page doesn't describe why it can't keep old builds...
(don't know what you referring too)

I do know `emerge -b` creates binary packages, but i orginally asked for
a way to keep older versions of binary packages.

Example:

emerge -b =net-analyzer/tcpdump-4.5.1-r1
 - binary package for tcpdump-4.5.1-r1 gets created
emerge -b =net-analyzer/tcpdump-4.6.2
 - binary package for tcpdump-4.6.2 gets created AND tcpdump-4.5.1-r1
   gets deleted

However, I want to keep tcpdump-4.5.1-r1 if possible.

Is there a way? Simply emerge -b isn't sufficiency.

--
greetings
Michael Mair-Keimberger