On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:48:11AM -0700, gentuxx wrote

> > 1) Run the command "ls -al /dev/sound/". What's the output ?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ls -al /dev/sound
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root     220 Sep 10 11:27 .
> drwxr-xr-x  15 root root   29720 Sep 11 03:10 ..
> crw-rw----   1 root audio 14, 12 Sep 10 11:27 adsp
> crw-rw----   1 root audio 14,  4 Sep 10 11:27 audio
> crw-------   1 root audio 14, 20 Apr 10 15:18 audio1
> crw-rw----   1 root audio 14,  3 Sep 10 11:27 dsp
> crw-------   1 root audio 14, 19 Apr 10 15:18 dsp1
> crw-rw----   1 root audio 14,  0 Sep 10 11:27 mixer
> crw-------   1 root audio 14, 16 Apr 10 15:18 mixer1
> crw-rw----   1 root audio 14,  1 Sep 10 11:27 sequencer
> crw-rw----   1 root audio 14,  8 Sep 10 11:27 sequencer2

  It's not what I thought it was.  I ran into a bug that has since been
fixed.  Looks like your userID is not a member of the audio group.  That
can be fixed by logging in (or su-ing) as root, issuing the command

gpasswd -a userID audio (where userID is the regular user's account)

logging off the regular userID and then logging back in.

> > 2) Are you familiar with PAM? (That will determine how we proceed to
> >solve your problem, if it's what I think it is).
> >
> Well, it depends on how "familiar" you mean.  ;-)  I know what it is.
> I'm relatively comfortable with configuring it, but I haven't changed
> anything from the default, with the exception of pam_cracklib.

  If someone has never heard of PAM, and runs into it head-on, it can be
rather dis-concerting.  If you're comfortable with configuring it, keep
using it by all means.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca