On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:29:24 AM behrouz khosravi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:19 PM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> > The Optimus support on Linux is similar to how it's done on ms windows. (I
> > dual boot for a flight sim)
> >
> > Performance wise, it depends on the GPU.
> > The lowspec one I have is an Intel embedded one. The higher spec is an
> > NVidia GT750.
> >
> > Using glxgears:
> > Without  (Intel): 60fps
> > With (NVidia): 90-95 fps
> >
> > --
> > Joost
> > --
> > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
>
> Thanks for the info.
> However I think that I will wait till better support is provided for linux.

What would you consider better support?
The way it works currently is how it's working with MS Windows (as provided by
NVidia).

> And I am sure if I am ever going to buy a new laptop, I will make sure that
> it has only one GPU! ( Intel would be nice!)

A single GPU makes things simpler, but being able to have the best of both
1) Intel = low power = long battery life
2) Nvidia = good quality 3D, but shorter battery life

The NVidia chip is actually switched off when not being used. (Or if not, I
wouldn't notice as the battery life is significantly better after installing
bumblebee and running the bumblebee service.)

--
Joost

PS. Is there a similar technology using ATI chipsets?