meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> [14-12-17 07:20]:
>>

>> You may want to set this in your make.conf file:
>>
>> FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
>>
>> What that does, as soon as you start the emerge process, it starts to
>> download the needed files.  It doesn't wait until it is ready to work on
>> the package to download it.  I've had that set for so long, no idea if
>> anything has changed as far as defaults.  I just know it works that way
>> here.
>>
>> If you set that, you should be able to sync, start emerge and when it
>> downloads the last files/tarballs it needs, you can then remove your
>> internet connection.  You can monitor that with this command.
>>
>> tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> Hi Dale,
>
> thanks for your reply ! :)
>
> I know of that flag, but it does not exaclty what I want.
> It parallelizes compilation and downloading.
>
> How can I exactly determine, that the last file has been
> downloaded without watching the monitor all the (because
> these are embedded systems: "long") time?
>
> Best regards,
> Meino

Note that says parallel-fetch not build.  From the man page:

parallel-fetch:  Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail -f
/var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch progress.

What you are thinking about is --jobs, or -j.  From the man page:

-j [JOBS], --jobs[=JOBS]
Specifies the number of packages to build simultaneously. If this option
is given without an argument, emerge will not limit the number of jobs
that can run simultaneously. Also see the related --load-average option.
Similarly to the --quiet-build option, the --jobs option causes all
build output to be redirected to logs. Note that interactive packages
currently force a setting of --jobs=1. This issue can be temporarily
avoided by specifying --accept-properties=-interactive.

The setting of parallel-fetch should do exactly what you want done.

Dale

:-)  :-)