Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > When I'm compiling something large and close the lid of my laptop (lid
> > close events disabled) or leave it on the couch where it can't get
> > proper airflow, it tends to overheat and crash.

> Don't do that. ;)

> > If I leave it open and on a table, everything is fine.

> > Any ideas about where I should look?

> The CPU heatsink, the fan, and any filters through which air moves.

You can alway open up a laptop's various covers and try to use compressed
air to blow out accumulated dust.

With older, hot running laptops, particularly when compiling significant
amounts of packages, I use to put 1/2 inch wedges under each side to lift
up the bottom of the laptop from the table surface. This increases air flow
to the various fans and heat sinks, thus increasing the cooling system
efficiency. Make sure it's always has a clean, cool airflow in the room you
use it in. Heat is the enemy of all electronics, particularly if you want
the electronics to have a relatively long life....

hth,
James