On 26/12/14 01:42, Joseph wrote:
> On 12/25/14 16:43, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>> On 25/12/14 15:43, Joseph wrote:
>>> I've installed "zoiper" (this is an softphone app to connect to my
>>> Asterisk server) on my old phone and it works on my private network over
>>> wifi.
>>> I'm using standard IAX port 4569 to register, so this port is open on my
>>> firewall.
>>>
>>> But when I catch an open public wifi network in a Mall or a Tim Horton
>>> "zoiper" failed to register.
>>>
>>> Do they block outgoing ports of public WiFi networks? What are my
>>> alternatives?
>>>
>>> I can open any port on my DD-Wrt and redirect it to my Asterisk server.
>>>

>> Quite often happens in this part of the world.  I run an openvpn ssl vpn
>> on port 443 with an ssl multiplexor on the server end - route all the
>> voip traffic through the vpn.  Doesnt work well if bandwidth is really
>> constrained but its the difference between having at least something or
>> nothing at all.
>>
>> BillK
>
> I do run VoIP over vpn but that is between two points on cable
> connection and it works very well. But running vpn over wifi plus VoIP
> will not work very well if at all. Voice will be very choppy.

Not necessarily - it depends on bandwidth at both ends (my server is on
adsl.) The important point is port 443 and ssl for the VPN which gets
past all blocking I have encountered so far though I have not noticed
deep packet inspection using MITM yet. I am using self signed certs so
it should show up if its attempted.

What I have encountered is excessive latency on some open WIFI networks
that makes voice conversation unpleasant.