On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 07:52:44 PM Mick wrote:
> For years now I have been running VirtualBox for testing purposes.
>
> It has served the users' needs well, but I have set up a new PC and am
> wondering if I am missing out on new tricks.  The VMs are launched may be a
> couple of times a week for an hour or two, to test website designs on
> different OS' and browsers.  The Vbox does this flawlessly.  Is there a
> different technology and applications I should consider and how do these
> compare with Vbox?

For simple tests where you only briefly run the VM on a
desktop/workstation/laptop, VirtualBox generally does the trick.

If you actually need to run the VMs for longer periods of time, having a
dedicated machine running the likes of Xen or VMWare is a better option.

Of the 2, I would recommend Xen.

If you don't feel like configuring the whole stack yourself, a pre-build image
like "XCP" generally does the trick. This is a free version of the Citrix VM
product. The Citrix VM manager works with XCP as well.

--
Joost