Hello. Here is my situation.

I love to use the font 'Bitstream Vera Serif' as the default font for my
Gnome 2.8 desktop for every situation except mono. Actually I wish to use it
exclusively as default, for example, mozilla use 'serif' font as default,
and I wish Bitstream Vera Sans is used as 'serif'. This seems to be default
in gentoo, that is okay. I also wish to use 'Bitstream Vera Sans' as 'sans'.

But I wish when the character being displayed does not exist in Bitstream
Vera Serif (example, Chinese characters), the character from 'AR PL
ShangHeiSun Uni', which is a font I installed by myself, is used in place. I
also wish 'AR PL ZenKai Uni' is used in place of 'sans' when the character
does not exist in Bitstream Vera Sans.

I found it pretty difficult to set it that way. For example, I set this in
my fonts.conf

        <alias>
                <family>serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
                        <family>AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni</family>
                </prefer>
        </alias>
        <alias>
                <family>sans-serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
                        <family>AR PL ZenKai Uni</family>
                </prefer>
        </alias>

The result is: my locale is zh_CN.UTF-8, in Gnome applications the apps work
as expected, but if using epiphany, interface is using correct Bitstream /
ShangHeiSun mixed font, browse a webpage encoded in UTF-8, the whole webpage
is displaed in 'AR PL ShangHeiSun Uni' font even if all the pages are
English.  Also, mozilla display all webpages encoded in UTF-8 as well as its
own user interface (menu, button, location bar) in 'AR PL ShangHeiSun Uni'
font.

It seems when things comes to mozilla related (epiphany uses gecko), only
the font that is encoded in Unicode will be used to display UTF-8 content?
Is ShangHeiSun used exclusively because it is a unicode font?

--
Zhang Weiwu   Real Softservice
International business: http://www.realss.com