If you're not looking for a patent yourself, but want to make sure that nobody else pulls one on you, you may want to look into the USPTO's Statutory Invention Registration program. It basically creates a public domain patent of your invention so nobody else can "invent" it and claim priority. And it's cheap (something like $100 IIRC).

Sean Crandall