On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:

>> I don't want to run fail2ban in the container because the container must
>> not mess with the firewall settings of the host.  If a container can do
>> that, then what's the point of having containers in the first place?

I've never used the LXC scripts to set up a container, but I actually
run a firewall inside a container.  You just need to run it in a
separate network namespace so that it is messing with its own
interface.

In general, though, I wouldn't want my containers messing with my host
interfaces.

>> BTW, why does Gentoo put containers under /etc?  Containers aren't
>> configuration files ...

I'd never put a container there.  I can't speak to how the lxc scripts
are intended to be used - I don't use those tools to manage
containers.  I typically stick my containers in their own place in
btrfs subvolumes for easy management.

--
Rich