> > Do they need telnet or ssh access,
>
> I don't understand this obsession with ssh or telnet. Remote code
> execution means that malicious party can execute any code on
> affected system.

To elaborate, since exim is an SMTP server it will be listening on TCP/25.
All the attacker needs to do is run an SMTP command that will prompt exim
to perform a lookup on a very long FQDN. The first command an SMTP client
issues to an SMTP server is 'HELO <some FQDN>'. Exim can be configured to
check if that the FQDN is valid, as a way of trying to distinguish spammers
from valid mail servers. So here we have a situation where a security
control happens to make the server less secure, and we have all that's
required for exploitation in a nice package.