On Wednesday 04 February 2015 09:19:20 Walter Dnes wrote:

>  A bit of a tangent... do you know of any font editors that will
> convert a font to "double-wide"?  E.g. convert 8x8 to 16x8, 8x12 to
> 16x12, or 8x16 to 16x16.

I think that would be a bit of a tall order, unless you're happy to
accept glyphs all having double-thickness vertical lines.

> The reason I ask is because I have a laptop with a 1280x800 screen.
> Back in the old days, the native VGA display would've been 80 columns
> across.  But now with framebuffer drivers, the straight text display
> is almost unreadable 160 columns across.

Yes, that's what started me off on my hunt for acceptable fonts. This
desktop screen is 27" and 1920x1080: evidently designed for 1080p video.

> Going to the Sun 12x22 font gives me 107 columns across, but that's
> still not good.

That one has serifs, doesn't it? Serif fonts work well in print with its
much higher resolution, but IMO they're not a good idea on screens.

> That's why I'm looking for 16-pixel-wide fonts, either freely
> available, or try to generate them from existing 8-pixel-wide fonts.

>From my own experience I can only suggest terminus-font; you might find
an acceptable compromise there as its heights range from 12 to 32
pixels, so I suppose its widths will range from 6 to 16. Or perhaps some
font will call itself [something]-wide.

There's also the problem that most work in typeface design these days
(not counting the print world) seems to be in graphical settings -- X
etc. -- so anything new would need some sort of conversion for use in a
console.

Good luck in your hunt! I expect you'll need it :-(

--
Rgds
Peter.