On 02/07/15 19:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 09:10:46 -0700, Joseph wrote:

>Portage is excessively verbose in it's output. With -v it dumps all
>sorts of info to the console and it's incredibly hard to read.
>
>It especially likes to print the full reasoning why it doesn't upgrade
>some package to latest due to a dependency requirement, and it's this
>that usually hides actual real problems in amongst all the noise.
>
>The level of verbosity from portage over the past year really should
>only be shown with -vvv

Thank for the hint, never thought about it. I'll try next time "emerge
-uDNavvvq world

Alan was saying that portage is already very verbose, you are better off
running with no -v options. That way you only see true errors and serious
warnings and not all the irrelevant stuff that just gets in the way.

Yes, it was very hard to read and duped information
into the screen that wasn't relevant.

Exactly, cut down on the irrelevant information by not using -v.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sisko:"I won't be condescending to you this episode, Dr. Bashir."

Got it.
I'll try it next time. When I upgrade and have to scroll via 200+ messages of emerge packages it is easy to not to notice about some critical information; in my case "grub" that was calling to run "grub-install" or the system will not boot.
I wish the packages without any changes or warning wouldn't even show up after
upgrade.

--
Joseph