On 17/02/15 03:30, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
I built and tried mplayer.  Again not rotated.  I ran it from the
terminal.  Below is the output up to when I killed it

Is it possible I did the ffmpeg command wrong?

Sorry, that was my fault. mplayer doesn't support this :-P mpv does.

If you want to rotate the video so that all players work, you need to re-encode it. You will lose some quality doing this. And how to encode properly is a huge can of worms to open here (especially since I'm not an expert on this myself.)

Quick and dirty way:

  ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf "transpose=1" out.mp4

This will probably produce crap. For a better quality encoding, do:

  ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf "transpose=1" -vcodec libx264 out.mp4

For the latter to work, you need to enable the "x264" USE flag of ffmpeg.