On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:09:18AM +0100, Marc Joliet wrote

> It's not that it doesn't do HTML5 video, I've been using that ever
> since I noticed the "gstreamer" USE flag in December 2012 (/etc in
> git is nice ;)).

  I have the gstreamer flag (and everything except "jit") turned off for
seamonkey.  Here's output from "emerge -pv seamonkey" on my machine...

www-client/seamonkey-2.32  USE="jit -chatzilla -crypt -custom-cflags
-custom-optimization -dbus -debug -gmp-autoupdate -gstreamer -ipc -minimal
-pulseaudio -roaming (-selinux) -startup-notification -system-cairo -system-icu
-system-jpeg -system-libvpx -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi" LINGUAS="-be -ca -cs
-de -en_GB -es_AR -es_ES -fi -fr -gl -hu -it -ja -lt -nb_NO -nl -pl -pt_PT -ru
-sk -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 KiB

>   It's just that I can't deactivate FlashDisable and expect YouTube
> to default to HTML5 videos yet (see the top of the quoted text above).
>
> FWIW, I *did* try it and still got the undesired behaviour (Youtube
> trying to use Flash).

  I think we're talking past each other here.  FlashDisable is irrelavant
to the way I do it.  The really important concept is that each profile
is a separate universe unto itself.  And you can set totally different
behaviours in each profile.  In my Youtube profile, I totally disable
Flash.  As far as the web page is concerned, I don't have Flash
installed at all.  Like I said above, FlashDisable is irrelavant
to the way I do it.  Here's the Seamonkey menu tree; Firefox may be
different.

Tools ==> Add-ons Manager ==> Plugins (on the left sidebar)

  I select "Shockwave Flash" from the "Plugins" list, and there's a
dropdown menu with 3 choices
* Ask to Activate
* Always Activate
* Never Activate

  I select "Never Activate", and Youtube thinks I don't have Flash
installed, forcing it to go with HTML5 mode.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>