Thanks John. None of your suggestions turned up the problem directly,
but they did get me thinking and I tried the same disk on different
connectors and at different settings. I found that I can boot from the
primary slave device and the secondary master device. I didn't try the
secondary slave device. The only one that reliable fails is the primary
master device.

I did try resetting my BIOS settings to the default.

Weird, huh?

Some day I'll come back and try to figure out why this is the case.
Meanwhile, though, I just reconfigured my grub settings and moved on.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Michael