On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 17:09:02 -0800 Daniel Frey wrote:
> Well, I decided to try distcc once again and set up a few machine to do so.
>
> I have set the -march directive on each machine to its own (and not
> "native"), and set up the accesses. It seems to work on most packages.
>
> However, I've found that there's some packages that just don't work:
>
> -mysql/mariadb errors out "can't find synch.h"
> -ffmpeg errors out "can't find windows.h"
> -xbmc and mythtv both failed as well, but this may be because of the
> above two errors.

Looks like you are using pump mode. Disable it and use "normal"
distcc.

> These are repeatable errors and they occur on all three of my mythtv
> frontends.
>
> Now, I've disabled distcc on one machine completely and above packages
> compile fine, so it must be something to do with distcc. So that's what
> I'm doing for the time being.
>
> However, this poses another question: is there a way to tell portage to
> NOT use distcc for certain packages? Rather than manually disabling it.

Yes, there is. Create a file /etc/portage/env/no-distcc.conf with
the following content:

FEATURES="${FEATURES} -distcc"

and add the following entry in /etc/portage/package.env (create
file, if it doesn't exist):

category1/foo no-distcc.conf
category2/bar no-distcc.conf

Best regards,