On Tuesday 24 February 2015 07:31:26 Rich Freeman wrote:

> In general though there is a reason that sysadmins tend to be very
> conservative with filesystems.  I doubt most even jumped onto ext4 all
> that quickly even though that was very stable from the start of being
> declared as such.  You really need to look at your use case and
> understand the risks and benefits and how you plan to mitigate the
> risks.  Something being experimental isn't a reason to automatically
> avoid using it if it brings some significant benefit to your design,
> as long as you've mitigated the risks.

Yes, and that's why I felt the risk justified when I adopted f2fs in
that box. It's a LAN server and so doesn't change much, and it's backed
up weekly. Well, the web and http-replicator proxies do have constantly
changing data of course, but nothing that can't be fetched again
cheaply.

> And, of course, if your goal is to better understand an experimental
> technology in a non-critical setting you should probably just get your
> feet wet.

Indeed. And I'm sometimes impulsive anyway. I certainly didn't conduct a
formal risk assessment. (<tabloid> Shock! Horror! </tabloid>)  :-)

--
Rgds
Peter.