On 11/03/2015 13:40, German wrote:
>> wpa_supplicant doesn't handle switching between wored and wireless
>> > interfaces, which is why I suggest a network manager. That could be
>> > NetworkManager, but you could equally use Wicd. Both are in portage.
>> >
>> > Alternatively, you could just set up the two interfacs
>> > in /etc/conf.d/net and switch between them by starting and
>> > stopping /etc/init.d/net.{eth0,wlan0}.
>> >
>> > It depends on how automatic you want it.
> Ok, I tried to emerge networkmanger and it tries to pull a bunch of
> dependencies which I do not need, e.g. x11-proto, x11-libs. I already set use
> flag to -X because for now I will be happy with console mode, but it still
> tries to pull them. How do I tell portage not emerge unneeded dependencies?
> Thanks

You tell portage to not pull in unneeded dependencies by setting the
appropriate USE flags. The people you are asking for assistance will
determine this by reading the ebuild, or by using the appropriate
portage tools to figure it out. You should start learning these skills
yourself so you can answer your own questions.

1. Run eix-e networkmanager. There is nothing there related to x11.

2. Read the ebuild for networkmanager-1.0.0. There is nothing in there
related to x11, so that's not it.

3. Run emerge -pvt networkmanager. This will give an indented view of
what is pulling in what. Find the entries of x11-proto etc and see what
is pulling them in. Investigate those packages to disable x11.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com