> Is alsamixer call KMix in KDE? That is all I see under Multimedia
> menu. I have Alsa build into the kernel, so it starts at boot, my
> sound card is some kind of Via-chipset on the motherboard.

If this is the only card on your system, I guess that kmix will show you
the same controls as alsamixer would.

But still alsamixer is the reference mixer.

The central problem is that ALSA tries to give you a generic frontend
for any card. Great idea because we do not get mixer frontends
contributed by the manufacturers and optimized for particular cards.

Disadvantage: Mixers are usually difficult to understand (even the OEM
mixers on windows are difficult to understand because soundcard
routings aren't the easiest thing on earth).

Best regards

    ce