On Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:58:42 PM German wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 16:32:25 -0400
> Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>
> > 150321 German wrote:
> > > If I run poweroff from root, the system shuts down.
> > > When I run poweroff from user -- command not found.
> > > How to shut down the system from user ?
> >
> > I'ld say "Don't" : it's contrary to the principles of Unix,
> > which separate the roles of sysadmin (root) from those of ordinary users.
> >
> > To shut down, I first exit Fluxbox via its menu,
> > then 'su' + root password, then alias 'down' = 'shutdown -h now'.
> > That observes the proper roles + ceremonies (smile).
>
> Interesting. But as I said ealier, I can reboot the system when I am a user
by Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The user can reboot the system, but can't shut down?
Strange

Either /sbin/poweroff or /usr/sbin/poweroff will do it from a local session (if
there's no other users logged in locally).

Like I said, /sbin is only on the search path for root by default on gentoo.

--
Fernando Rodriguez