John Jolet wrote:
You could stay with ssmtp, just edit the config file (i think
it's /etc/ssmtp.conf or something).  It doesn't do aliases, but you can
set ONE alias for all destination uids under 1000.
Alternatively, you can unmerge ssmtp and emerge sendmail (or better yet,
in my opionion, postfix).  ssmtp is just a real simple and basic mta for
forwarding to a mail relay host.

Actually you can't use ssmtp as it can not deliver mail locally and is not an MTA. It can only relay mail off the local box to a real mail server.

Remove ssmtp and install your favorite MTA. I'll recommend Postfix and also recommend aliasing root mail to an unprivileged account and reading the mail there. Or you'll have to use mbox format.

kashani