On Sunday 12 Apr 2015 12:27:33 Gevisz wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:04:40 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On 12/04/2015 12:48, Gevisz wrote:
> > > Quite for a long time, while booting my Gentoo system,
> > > I get the following message message:
> > >
> > > "runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead"
> > >
> > > What shall I do to fix this issue accept for reinstallig
> > > my Gentoo system anew?
> >
> > Do nothing.
>
> Thank you for your answer but why that message appear at all, then?
>
> > runscript is the shebang for init scripts for various services,
> > runscript and openrc-run are both provided by openrc.
>
> Sorry, but I do not understand the word "shebang" in this context.

Some (older) service startup script is starting with a:

#!/sbin/runscript

shebang, instead of the openrc equivalent:

#!/sbin/openrc-run

If you look in your /etc/init.d/ scripts you will see that there quite a few
that still start with the runscript shebang.

Eventually ebuilds will update their startup scripts to use the openrc syntax,
unless systemd takes over the world and openrc is abandoned.

> > and most important - what effect if any does the problem have?
>
> So far, no noticeable effects accept for the warning message above.
>
> > I can't tell if your system boots normally or if it blows
> > up and eats your kittens.
>
> Shall I wait for that to happen before starting to worry? :)

No, because after it eats your kittens it will drink your beer.  We can't have
that!

--
Regards,
Mick