On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM, gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >:
> > On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM, gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I used to convert dav to avi files with the following command
> >> yet a year ago:
> >> $ ffmpeg -i input.dav -vcodec libx264 -crf 24 output.avi
> >> but now, while trying to use it, I get
> >>
> >> What happened?
> >>
> >> I still have virtual/ffmpeg package installed.
> >> In my case it points to libav.
> >>
> > See the following news item for details:
> > eselect news list | grep ffmpeg
> >   [20]     2015-02-01  ffmpeg/libav conflict management: USE=libav
>
> Thank you for your reply.  I am aware of that change. But the news says:
>
> "Users who currently use libav (the Gentoo default) do not have to
> perform any action since USE=libav is enabled by default."
>
> So, I "performed no actions".
>
> And I still have media-video/libav-9.17 installed.
>
> P.S. I have nor libav no ffmpeg USE flags in make.conf but I think
>        that USE=libav is enabled somewhere in the profile. Am I wrong?
>
> grep libav /usr/portage/profiles/base/make.defaults
# Move the current Gentoo preference (libav over ffmpeg)
USE="${USE} libav"

If you want to use ffmpeg instead of libav, "It should be noted that the
users still need to enable USE=ffmpeg on packages with optional libav
support as well. Users who want to use ffmpeg instead need to specify
USE=-libav in make.conf explicitly."

Otherwise, set USE=-ffmpeg in /etc/portage/make.conf to stick with libav.