On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 12:27:15 +0200
Marko Weber | 8000 <we...@zbfmail.de> wrote:

> hello list,
>
> i try to crypt a partition with cryptsetup.
> Yes, in Kernel i had all need things i think.
>
> CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
> # CONFIG_CRYPTO_HW is not set
>

> but when i try to use cryptsetup i get this:
>
> # cryptsetup -c aes-xts:plain64 -y -s 256 luksFormat
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-media2
>
> WARNING!
> ========
> This will overwrite data on /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-media2 irrevocably.
>
> Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
> Enter passphrase:
> Verify passphrase:
> device-mapper: reload ioctl on  failed: Invalid argument
> Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for device
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-media2.
> Check that kernel supports aes-xts:plain64 cipher (check syslog for
> more info).
>

> Any ideas?
>
> i built cryptsetup with this useflags:
>
> nls openssl python udev urandom
>

> cryptsetup --help shows me i am able to use the options
>
> Default compiled-in device cipher parameters:
>          loop-AES: aes, Key 256 bits
>          plain: aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, Key: 256 bits, Password
> hashing: ripemd160
>          LUKS1: aes-xts-plain64, Key: 256 bits, LUKS header hashing:
> sha1, RNG: /dev/random
>

> any help / ideas or knowledge welcome.
>
> best regards
>
> marko

I read the whole tread, but will reply here.

I use this mode on some devices, and for me works fine (gentoo
systems), I have it enabled in kernel, also I have cryptsetup with
sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.6.5 (gcrypt nls python_single_target_python2_7
python_targets_python2_7 python_targets_python3_3 udev)
You can probably ignore python*, 'gcrypt' is probably important USE
flag.

Also something which maybe unrelated to you but is important about
CONFIG_CRYPTO_XTS is
"XTS: IEEE1619/D16 narrow block cipher use with
aes-xts-plain, key size 256, 384 or 512 bits. This implementation
currently can't handle a sectorsize which is not a multiple of 16
bytes."