On 23 April 2015 00:43:53 CEST, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 04/22/2015 12:45 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What mystifies me is how those three kernel modules managed to get
>>> loaded while all the others didn't. (It's the same three modules
>every
>>> time, BTW.)
>>>
>>> I grepped through /etc for the names of those modules, thinking
>maybe
>>> I listed them in modprobe.conf.d sometime in the past, but no, those
>>> modules are not listed anywhere in /etc, nor are any of the others
>>> listed either.
>>
>> Try grepping /lib/udev for the names of those modules.
>
>Thanks Rich and Canek (and a big kiss to Volker, too) for your replies.
>
>I just spotted this question about a warning that I'm now seeing from
>my "bad" machine, but sadly there are no replies:
>
>https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-996544-start-0.html
>
>The lesson seems to be that "big" updates are risky, and I should stop
>wasting my time on this particular big update and start from a newer
>version of amd64.

Maybe. There are people on this list who succesfully update servers every few
years...
Do you get that error also after loading all the modules by hand?

>I was startled just now by a comment my from my wife: "I can't believe
>how much time you've wasted on your silly linux.  That computer is too
>old to run linux -- you should just throw it out and buy a new one."

Makes me wonder about 2 things:
1) How old is that machine?
2) What does your wife do for a living?

>Guys, listen up:  when your wife suddenly advises you to treat yourself
>to a new toy -- be afraid -- be very afraid.  I'm afraid she's about to
>say something else that will postpone my upcoming retirement for a long
>time :(

What would she say that would postpone your retirement?

If my wife tells me to buy a new toy, I would go out and get one. She can't
really complain if I do what she tells me.... :)

--
Joost