"J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> writes:

> On Friday, April 24, 2015 10:24:06 PM lee wrote:

>> > The problem here is the different "implementations" that exist:
>> > - Xen (install and configure yourself, toolset: 'xl' , 'xm' is deprecated)
>> > - Citrix and XCP (pre-configured, install on dedicated server, toolset:
>> > 'xcp') - OVM (Oracle's implementation, not sure which toolset they use)
>>
>> Maybe, maybe not; the documentation is so confusing that I can't really
>> tell what it is talking about.
>
> Where did you look?

Everywhere I could find.  The xen wiki is particularly messy.

>> > What doesn't work with this?
>> > The following seems quite detailed:
>> > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_power_management
>>
>> There was some command to query what frequencies the CPUs are running
>> on, and it didn't give any output.  Documentation seems to claim that
>> xen can do power management automagically, yet there was no way to
>> verify what it actually does.
>
> It works here:
> # xenpm get-cpufreq-para all
> cpu id               : 0
> affected_cpus        : 0
> cpuinfo frequency    : max [3101000] min [1600000] cur [1600000]
> scaling_driver       : acpi-cpufreq
> scaling_avail_gov    : userspace performance powersave ondemand
> current_governor     : ondemand
>   ondemand specific  :
>     sampling_rate    : max [10000000] min [10000] cur [20000]
>     up_threshold     : 80
> scaling_avail_freq   : 3101000 3100000 2900000 2700000 2500000 2300000
> 2100000
> 1900000 1700000 *1600000
> scaling frequency    : max [3101000] min [1600000] cur [1600000]
> turbo mode           : enabled
>
> <snipped identical results for other CPU-cores>
>
> Looks like it's actually working and I never configured this.

It didn't work for me.

>> > And the commands listed there (for the hypervisor based option) work on my
>> > server.

>> > In what way doesn't it work?
>> > The clocks are all synchronized and I don't need to use anything like
>> > 'ntpd'
>> The clocks were off by quite a bit after a while, and I had to use ntp
>> to get them in sync.  Some documentation claims you don't need ntp or
>> anything; some other documentation apparently tries to explain that
>> keeping the clocks in sync cannot work unless the CPU(s) have some
>> features having to do with clock consistency while they are in sleep
>> states, and yet other documentation seems to say that using ntp cannot
>> work because xen screws it off.  In the end, it was recommended to me to
>> use ntp, which I found to work.  There was no way to figure out what xen
>> was actually doing or not doing towards this, and nobody seemed to know
>> how to keep the clocks in sync, other than using ntp, which appears to
>> be deprecated.
>
> Which version did you try?
> I remember having had clock-issues requiring ntp when I first started using
> Xen
> over 10 years ago.

The version in Debian --- I don't remember which one it was.  Debian was
the only distribution I could get it to work with at all, and the VMs
also were Debian because there isn't a good way to install an operating
system in a VM.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.