My task is to enable a (remote) server to run VMs via qemu/KVM.

The server is configured to set up its eth0 via openrc but this isn't enough to run the VMs network.

I tried macvtap but something didn't work, either libvirt (yes, with USE-flag "macvtap") or something else (the kernel supports mavtap).

So bridging.

I'd like to keep the risk of losing connectivity as low as possible ... I can visit the place in a few weeks to iron out things but I would like to set up a bridge now without failure, just to get that VM running asap.

Could anyone advise me in doing this?

I have only ssh-access now ... its openrc-driven, and I might use a second IPv4-IP if that helps ...

anyone?

(editing the conf.d-files to remove eth0 and setup br0 is too scary right now. One mistake and the box is offline)