On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:44:16 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If that is the case, then in order to completely transition to the
> new system, you would have to re-emerge everything that installs
> bashcomp files. Also, delete all your bashcomp eselect files. The new
> system has everything enabled by default and eselect is used to
> actually disable bashcomp for all packages and whitelist the only you
> enable. This can cause problems if you have old and new files lying
> around.

Thanks for this.  I'm not the OP, but broken bash completion has
been bothering me for a while.  Somehow I'd gotten the mistaken
impression that it was supposed to heal itself over time as the
programs that install bashcomp files were rebuilt with updates, without
me having deal with any cruft.

> I think there was a news item on how to transition from the old to
> the new setup. No idea where to find it if you don't have it in
> "eselect news list" anymore :-/

At the time, I was on the lookout for such a news item and I never saw
one.  Always possible that was my fault, but I really think there was
no such item.

Also, if I've correctly understood what you wrote above,
<https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bash#Tab_completion> needs an overhaul.
(Conversely, if it doesn't need an overhaul, my understanding is still
faulty and I'll be back for some hand-holding!)