I have a script in /etc/cron.daily that never runs.  It works properly
when run manually and it's been in there for weeks (and a reboot or two).

I'm using vixie-cron.

cron.daily doesn't get run from cron.  gets run out of anacron....do you
have anacron installed?

Sorry, John, that's not quite right. Vixie cron should handle the /etc/cron.* directories automatically.

Fcron, what I'm using, does not and requires additions to root's crontab to get them to work.

To the OP, is a) vixie cron actually running, b) the scripts in the directories have the execution permissions, and c) any output in the log files indicating why vixie cron might not be executing them?