On Friday 29 May 2015 16:28:57 Alan Grimes wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > On Friday 29 May 2015 10:36:37 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> >> I had two sets of problems: one in KDE which I might have nailed finally
> >> [1], and one at boot time in which /dev/md7 (RAID-1 with metadata > 1.0)
> >> was not being started.
> >>
> >> [1]        Whenever I've had KMail screw up I've created a new user and
> >> re-imported its 14,000 e-mails, and until this latest time I've copied
> >> the .mozilla directory from the old user to the new. This time I did
> >> not, and so far all looks rosy. I'm not counting any chickens yet
> >> though.
> >
> > Did you try deleting the akonadi database file(s) and restarting it
> > instead of creating a new user?  You will have to be patient, probably
> > let it run overnight to asynchronously sync and re-index all your
> > messages.
>
> What in god's name is that stupid database for anyway? Does it perform
> any useful function? Is there any tool that gives the user any
> measurable benefit that even justifies one one hundredth of the CPU and
> disk bandwidth consumed by this missfeature?

I think you're preaching to the converted here.  I don't think you'll find
many advocates in this M/L who support the KDE4 desktop design decision as a
sound architectural choice for your average Linux user.  I think they were
trying to market a desktop for the enterprise and were following Gnome's
approach of semantic content searches.

Other than the odd bug here and there I was perfectly happy with KDE3 and
Kmail1 (still using with kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.4.11.1-r1).

--
Regards,
Mick