Hello list,

Not long ago I bought an Asus DSL-N14U and I've been impressed by its
abilities, especially since it's quite cheap. One feature I particularly like
is its guest networks (I have a lady of advanced years* next-door), of which
it can establish three. But its logging feature is woefully limited, whether
remote or local: I get lots of empty or incomplete log entries, which Asus
says it can't improve. It has a few other minor bugs too.

Does anyone here know of a "professional" version of this modem, or an
equivalent? I mean one that does the whole job, not just what it needs to do
to get past the marketing department**. I'd like proper logs, and finer
control over what traffic is allowed between wired and wireless LANs, and
to/from the WAN of course. Even suitable Google search terms would be good.

PPPoA is not used here in the UK as far as I know.

* Even more advanced than mine, and maybe even Walt's, and she suffers from
some other effects of age too (don't we all who are past Alec's tender
years?).

** [OT] I once saw an entire company destroyed by its marketing department.
"Trust me, my boy," they said. They knew that all customers require ad-hoc
additions and alterations during the course of the project, which when added
up made them a profit. Wrong! We had a water-tight functional spec, complete
with minimum acceptable response times, and we insisted on a director-level
change-control board. Bad, bad news for them. They could see the writing on
the wall but they thought they knew better. How stupid can anyone be? Anyone
heard of Empros?

--
Rgds
Peter