On Wednesday 24 Jun 2015 12:13:06 Alex Thorne wrote:

> I used to get the following error in /var/log/rc.log
>     /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
> I am not sure why this was happening, but I read that one fix was to
> disable lvmetad entirely. And so I set
>    use_lvmetad = 0
> in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.
>
> However, now I get error messages of the following form (e.g. when running
> grub2-mkconfig):
>   WARNING: lvmetad is runing but disabled. Restart lvmetad before enabling
> it!

I don't have an rc.log but I used to see this scroll by during boot and
shutdown. The cure seems to be to remove mdraid from the boot run-level [1].

I don't properly understand what's going on here: I needed mdraid in boot
while building the system, but once it was up and running and udev was
starting the RAID volumes it was better to remove it. I still have use_lvmetad
= 1. Bug 521280 refers.

> I ran
>    /etc/init.d/lvmetad needsme
> and got
>    lvm-monitor lvm
> I don't understand why lvm is starting lvmetad even when I have disabled
> it. lvmetad is certainly not in any runlevel itself and I just don't know
> where to go from here.
>
> I would appreciate some advice on how to fix either problem (the socket
> connect issue when lvmetad is enabled, or the fact that lvmetad still
> starts when it's disabled...)

[1]     ...and have a rescue system ready to chroot from and put it back :-)

--
Rgds
Peter