> My new laptop should arrive this month.  It will presumably support
> UEFI, which I have never used before.
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1.  The gentoo handbook favors using the minimal installation CD.  I
> downloaded the iso, verified it's integrity, and "burned" it to a USB
> stick with dd.
>
> However the wiki page "UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8" says to use a
> system rescue CD.  Is that required or can I use the minimal
> installation CD?

You could use almost any distro to install gentoo, I have done it
before, even my first install was the first livecd i found in my CDs
case(LinuxMint), after reading the instructions I didn't found
anything that actually made it a MUST to use the recommendations of
the handbook.

> 2.  The handbook, when discussing Booting the installation CD, says
>
>    Important
>    When installing Gentoo with the purpose of using the UEFI interface
>    instead of BIOS, it is recommended to boot with UEFI immediately. If
>    not, then it might be necessary to create a bootable UEFI USB stick
>    (or other medium) once before finalizing the Gentoo Linux
>    installation.
>
> I don't understand what I am to do?  Must I change the USB stick to
> somehow specify UEFI?  Or will the laptop firmware ask me whether to
> boot UEFI?  Or something else?

This is so the EFI information is available inside the booted  OS. if
you don't boot using EFI this information is not available(I'm not
100% sure about this, it's just what I remember at the top of my head)

I remember from reading this list you use GNOME thus systemd, then I
would highly recommend doing the install with a systemd livecd, it
makes it so much practical to get to the chroot and you can test if
your userspace boots right without needing to reboot thanks to nspawn.

Here's a quick description of the procces, using a systemd live
media(I will put the obvious just for completeness):
1. Get the stage3 and the livecd you'll use
2. boot
3. mkdir /mnt/gentoo and get the partition(s) where the installation
will be, ready and mounted
4. tar -xvjpf the stage 3 into /mnt/gentoo
5. cd /mnt/gentoo && systemd-nspawn (this is the replacement for
chroot, it mounts /dev/, /proc, and /sys for you)
6. get the portage tree
7. eselect a systemd profile, I would use the
minimal(default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd) temporarily so I don't have
to build all of GNOME before booting.
8. emerge -avuDN @world (will get systemd installed) and
9. set a passoword for root and exit the shell, and boot the newly
installed systemd with # systemd-nspawn -b
10. Configure timezone(timedatectl), locale.gen, locale(localectl),
fstab... etc.
11. get a boot loader(Gummiboot the recommendation, and to the dislike
of some, soon part of the systemd package, so systemd will come with a
bootloader)
12. Get a kernel (CONFIG_EFI_STUB is needed to boot with gummiboot)
13. boot and change profile to a gnome one, and emerge gnome or gnome-minimal.

Personally I find that installing Gentoo with systemd is more
practical, mainly because of nspwan.