Am 12.07.2015 um 21:14 schrieb Rich Freeman:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> actually 1 time is enough. With zeros. Or ones. Does not matter at all.
>>
> That depends on your threat model.

nope. It doesn't.

You believe in some urban legend you never dared to question.

> If you're concerned about somebody reading the contents of the drive
> using the standard ATA commands, then once with zeros is just fine.
> Secure erase is probably easier/faster.
>
> If you're concerned about somebody removing the disks from the drive
> and reading them with specialized equipment then you really want
> multiple rounds of complete overwrites with random data.  Even then
> you run the risk of relocation blocks and all that stuff, so the
> secure erase at the end is still a wise move but it may or may not
> completely do the job.

even then one time is enough. Links are below.

> If you're concerned about somebody leaving the disks in the drive but
> having access to directly manipulate the drive heads to possibly
> access data not accessible using the standard ATA commands then one
> pass is probably good enough, but I'd still use random data instead of
> zeros.  The reason is that a clever firmware (especially on an SSD)
> might not actually record zeros to the regular disk space, but instead
> just mark the block range as containing zeros, leaving the actual data
> intact.  For random data the drive has to actually store the contents
> as it cannot be represented in any more concise way.
>
> If I'm not in a rush I prefer to just do the multiple passes.  Why
> take a chance?

if you do it, it is your problem, but recommending something stupid is
something else altogether.

> And of course full-disk encryption is the solution to all of the
> above, as it defeats any kind of attack at the level of the drive and
> is proactive in nature.

cute.

Unlike you, I read some stuff before posting. This is OLD NEWS:

http://www.howtogeek.com/115573/htg-explains-why-you-only-have-to-wipe-a-disk-once-to-erase-it/

http://www.vidarholen.net/~vidar/overwriting_hard_drive_data.pdf

to quote:

"
Resultantly, if there is less than a 1% chance of determining each
character to be
recovered correctly, the chance of a complete 5-character word being
recovered drops
exponentially to 8.463E-11 (or less on a used drive and who uses a new
raw drive
format). This results in a probability of less than 1 chance in 10Exp50
of recovering
any useful data. So close to zero for all intents and definitely not
within the realm of
use for forensic presentation to a court.
"

10^50. Think about that for a moment. And that is not 'all the data' but
'any useful data'.