Today's update started as a disaster:  perl wants to upgrade from
5.20.2 to 5.22.0, but all of my existing perl modules insist on having
5.20.2 so the perl update blocks and then emerge stopped with an error
and left the whole mess for me to solve. (To me this appears to be a
bug in the perl family of ebuilds.)

Here is my painless workaround for this mess:

#ebuild /usr/portage/dev-lang/perl/perl-5.22.0.ebuild merge

That trick cleared the blocker and allowed the rest of today's update
to proceed.  (Lots of individual perl modules have updates also, which
may be part of this problem, but I don't know.)